• Refine By
  • Clear all
Employment Law / Litigation & Dispute Resolution / Construction

Does it Really Matter What You Call Your Employees? The Difference Between a Permanent and a Casual Employee.

The Federal Court found the casual employee worked a regular and continuous pattern of work for more than two years, indicating ongoing employment and therefore, the employee was entitled to annual leave. The employee was employed as a truck driver in a mine in Queensland. Upon termination of his employment the employee claimed that he was a permanent full-time employee and was entitled to annual leave or payment in lieu. Workpac, the employer, argued that...
Read More
Business Law / Construction / Employment Law

September 2018 Newsletter

September 2018 Newsletter. See the full newsletter here Welcome TLFC Law are pleased to welcome Min Seetoh to the property team. After being admitted to practice in 2011, she has developed a solid background in and an expansive portfolio of property matters. Min enjoys keeping up with the fast paced, ever-changing nature of Property Law in Victoria and thrives on the transactional nature and challenges of the game. Read more about Min on our website....
Read More
Charities & Not-for-Profit / Charities & Not-For-Profits

Tax-deductible opportunities for Indigenous charities

The school, focused upon educating Aboriginal members of its local community, was previously registered as a charity for the purpose of advancing education. Becoming a PBI has huge implications for any organisation, especially those employing a large number of staff. The school therefore becomes exempt from Fringe Benefits Tax (FBT) for benefits provided to each employee up to a total grossed-up value of $30,000. The school also becomes a deductible gift recipient (DGR), therefore ensuring...
Read More
Owners Corporation / Owners Corporations & Strata

Short-stay accommodation law reform in Victoria: Are you aware of the changes?

The purpose of the Act is to regulate the provision of short-stay accommodation arrangements (up to a maximum of seven days & six nights) in residential apartment buildings in Victoria. So what are the changes? Owners, tenants or managers can now complain to the owners corporation for a range of ‘guests’ conduct breaches including:- Creating unreasonable noise or behaving in a manner likely to unreasonably and substantially interfere with the peaceful enjoyment of an occupier...
Read More