By Sam Recht

21 February 2017

Have you or are you building a residential home and it has become your worst nightmare? What do you do? Where do you go?

A domestic building dispute can be any dispute concerning the construction of a home in Victoria. Domestic building disputes can arise between different parties, typically between owners and builders, subcontractors, engineers and architects, or all of the above!
Domestic Building disputes in Victoria are resolved through the Domestic Building List of the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT).
Issuing proceedings for domestic building disputes begins when one party files a claim at VCAT. The Application should contain Points of Claim and clearly set out the basis of the claim. If your claim is for less than $10,000, legal representation is not permitted unless VCAT grants permission. However, if your claim is for an amount greater than $10,000, it is advised that you seek legal representation. Once an Application is filed with VCAT, a Directions Hearing will follow in which the Applicant is required to file Points of Claim if he/she has not already done so. The Respondent will be directed to file and serve a Defence or Defence and Counterclaim. For building disputes, it is especially important to take photographs of the defective work at an early stage, and to engage a building consultant to provide evidence by way of a written report on the defects and costs of rectification. The Experts Report will be used as evidence of the sub-standard work, the subject of the claim.
One of the orders made at the Directions Hearing will be to refer the matter to mediation. This is ordered to take place as soon as possible as it is an opportunity for the parties to try and resolve their dispute. Therefore, both parties and their legal representation must attend the mediation. This process is efficient and cost effective, however, the mediator cannot make a binding decision for you, nor can they offer their opinion about which party has a better case. Depending on the amount of the claim, if the dispute does not settle, a Compulsory Conference may be ordered to be held 3-6 months later. Within the Compulsory Conference, the Tribunal Member will often present his/her opinion on which party is more likely to be successful in the dispute. This will often motivate the parties to reach a settlement.
If the dispute fails to settle at both mediation and the Compulsory Conference, it will be listed for trial before a Tribunal Member of VCAT. Depending on the complexity of the matters in dispute, trials can be lengthy and very expensive to run. Unlike in other jurisdictions, the successful party is not guaranteed to recover their legal costs from the losing party, thereby providing further incentive to settle at mediation or a Compulsory Conference.
If you are involved in a domestic building dispute it is imperative that you seek advice from a lawyer.

Related Articles

View All
Property & Development / Litigation & Dispute Resolution

A Timely Reminder of the Underquoting Laws

During that period Consumer Affairs Victoria (CAV), the Regulatory Body that governs real estate agents, has...
Read More
Property & Development / Property & Developers

Vacant Residential Land Tax is Here

The purpose behind this tax was to address the Government’s concern about the number of properties being left vacant...
Read More
Property & Development

Joining forces with neighbours: Maximise the sale value of your property

There are of course the usual suggestions such as re-painting, undertaking minor works, hiring furniture and...
Read More
Leasing & Lease Disputes / Property & Development / Property & Developers

Commercial Leases – Protect your Property

By the end of the lease (whether by expiry, abandonment or eviction) things may look different And you may need to...
Read More
Leasing & Lease Disputes / Property & Development / Property & Developers

Update – Residential Tenancies Act Reform

On 8 October 2017 the Premier of Victoria Daniel Andrews announced an initial set of reforms which the government...
Read More
Property & Development / Property & Developers / Real Estate Agents

Bushfire Beware!

Recently new Bushfire Management Overlay (“BMO”) mapping and schedules have been introduced to reduce the threat...
Read More
Owners Corporation / Property & Development / Owners Corporations & Strata

Apartmentites – Guest Insight #1

Owners Corporations are made up of apartment owners In this ‘Apartmentites’ blog, Tisher Liner FC Law’s Nicole...
Read More
Owners Corporation / Property & Development / Property & Developers

Important VCAT Case Update: The Grundl Assessment

New Guidance from VCAT on how Owners Corporations choose the appropriate method for raising Special Levies An important...
Read More
Property & Development / Property & Developers / Real Estate Agents

Nominating Alternative Purchasers under a Contract of Sale

When purchasers enter into contracts of sale to purchase property and/or land, they rarely imagine that they will not...
Read More
Construction / Litigation & Dispute Resolution / Property & Development

Domestic Building Dispute Resolution – New Regime

The days of VCAT being a first-instance negotiator in Victorian domestic building disputes are coming to an end...
Read More
Leasing & Lease Disputes / Property & Development / Property & Developers

Landlords Beware – Industrial and Warehouse premises can constitute Retail premises

The definition of what constitutes a retail premises has long been a point of contention and uncertainty for landlords...
Read More
Covenants & Easements / Property & Development / Property & Developers

Love Thy Neighbour

Restrictive covenants can often prevent a development from proceeding So, whilst that old house on a huge block may...
Read More