Charities & Not-for-Profit
Charities and not-for-profits are accountable to the Australian Charities and Not-for-profit Commission (ACNC), and must follow the guidelines in order to maintain a current registration with the ACNC.
Ensuring the proper Charity Law legal structures in place can help you maximise profits and minimise costs.
We advise our clients in relation to a broad range of charity and not-for-profit matters, including:
- charitable trusts and ancillary funds;
- charity registration with the Australian Charities and Not-for-Profits Commission (‘ACNC’);
- policies and governance;
- tax deductible status (‘DGR’);
- income tax exemptions;
- distribution of funds overseas; and
- fundraising licensing.
Beyond the law, our lawyers are actively involved in the charity and not-for-profit sector by way of:
- charity director/board positions;
- charity advisory roles;
- charity volunteering; and
- previous employment in the not-for-profit sector.
We work with charities and not-for-profits of all shapes and sizes. We service start-up organisations through to some of the biggest charities and not-for-profits in Australia.
Our firm has acted to:
- establish an Australian charitable fundraising arm for a major international charity;
- establish a tax-deductible fund for Australia’s leading online crowd-funding company;
- set up an Australian based tax-deductible fundraising structure with multiple funds for a leading international university;
- advise a peak body and preeminent Australian education provider in relation to its not-for-profit status;
- obtain fundraising licenses in all States and Territories;
- establish a public benevolent institution with capacity to send funds overseas for an international constituent member of the Red Cross;
- advise a religious group on purchasing property through charitable structures;
- assist a major Australian charity in responding to a breach of compliance notice issued by the ACNC;
- re-structure a well-known gym group as a not-for-profit company;
- assist a well-established health retreat to structure a tax-deductible social enterprise framework; and
- set up a major online crowdfunding foundation.
Working with our clients in mind
We work closely with each of our clients to provide advice that is:
- cost effective;
- solution oriented; and
- tailored to the clients’ identity and needs.
Tax Effective Giving – Charitable Distributions Through Discretionary and Charitable Trusts
By Didi Levin
29 March 2018